Forums / Discussion / General

233,314 total conversations in 7,801 threads

+ New Thread

New site layout?

Last posted Jun 22, 2024 at 10:11PM EDT. Added Apr 11, 2024 at 08:41PM EDT
179 posts from 110 users

This is one of the few things this website has unanimously agreed upon and honestly I fully understand why.

Jill has already explained in great detail the numerous problems this redesign has but my biggest personal irk is that I can no longer upvote or favourite images straight from the image preview.

I shouldn't have to click on another link just to get to another page that contains the exact same image with so much negative space around it it feels like a web designer's first college project just to upvote or favourite it, it makes no sense.

Please Don, I don't care how you do it, just tell the suits that this redesign is completely unacceptable in every regard, it will do nothing but drive more people further away from the website and push away the few regular users who already have a shaky opinion at the best of times with certain staff decisions.

Last edited May 27, 2024 at 03:43PM EDT

And it's gone back around and given me the shitty layout.

Now the fuckin' gallery doesn't work properly: it counts the images irregularly, the arrows don't even fuckin' work and I can't simply click anywhere else when zoomed on an image, I have to click the X

But it's "different" so it's "better," and clearing cookies doesn't reset it

Last edited Jun 01, 2024 at 11:58AM EDT

And it's back. How amazing.

I'm getting the same issues as RoyalBlue above. The image preview is back (finally, something actually good) but now it's half broken.

If you want to go to the actual image page, you HAVE to click on the "Image Detail" button. Previously, you only needed to click on the image itself which was far more convenient.

The arrows on the side nav tab either don't work or don't follow the gallery order.

And in order to exit the image preview, you either MUST click the little X on the top right of the nav, or literally press Escape on you keyboard. You can no longer simply click outside the image to exit, something that is standard function for every other website that has galleries like this.

At this point I legitimately have to ask, is anyone at KYM even testing anything? Or is whoever is handling this just clicking the "Go Live" button whenever he feels like it. Because right now it looks like the second option.

Also, I just noticed that the "Comments" button on the side nav of the image preview doesn't show the comments number anymore. Not that it would be all that useful right now since the comment number bug is currently still there on the new layout.

Oh and the thing with the pages not loading has gotten even worse now. It's now about 2/3 of every page opening that doesn't load. Worse still is that now, it sometimes even takes 2-3 reloads to get the page to load.
These performance issues don't even exist on the old layout.

The layout is so bad it's looks like it was made for mobile use but butcher the UX functionality, I got it and I don't know how to revert it.

Anyone can tell me when it's going to go away? please tell me.

Click the hamburger sign (The three bars at the top right), scroll down until you see OLD SITE. Hit that and it'll bring you back to the old design.

Trust me, the moment I saw it again, I didn't care if they made any improvements, I just went:

Saber THE Totodile wrote:

Click the hamburger sign (The three bars at the top right), scroll down until you see OLD SITE. Hit that and it'll bring you back to the old design.

Trust me, the moment I saw it again, I didn't care if they made any improvements, I just went:

You sir are a lifesaver.

Got the new layout finally

My god its such dog shit. Im so tired of the increasing pace at which websites are designed to be entirely around mobile users, which, i got to say; I absolutely never want to visit a website on my phone unless its absolutely necessary to begin with.

I'm on the desktop, so the website can fit more on screen, but the amount of titles and rows that are allowed to load is honestly ridiculous and just floods my vision with a ton of garbage and text. It doesnt even load content in chronological order, its just a mash of click bait garbage

and thats another thing; it very clear that KYM is trying to pivot to becoming a clickbait multimedia website, where content is regurgitated with engagement spins. Its honestly just too late for that to be successful. I know the website is not completely irrelevant to internet culture these days because I've seen people bring up the website or look up an article outside of this website, but its best years are behind it, not ahead; especially in terms of profitability. People have the sense to stay away from the website in its current state; outside of its entries and articles, there is nothing really worth engaging with in its current state. Its an indication of the direction the website is heading, and its a path that has long since lost its viability; I can only see people getting turned off and losing those clicks for advertisement money in the long run.

site bug, it came back but why did they do that?

who did this it's so stupid it's ugly and buggy

the site was buggy and fix the problems which are How to vote does not work, the pages sometimes take a minute to load for no apparent reason, I like/dislike" does not work under comments, and the pages do not load at all and the profile page comments on them does not work

Last edited Jun 05, 2024 at 05:42PM EDT

Steve wrote:

Got the new layout finally

My god its such dog shit. Im so tired of the increasing pace at which websites are designed to be entirely around mobile users, which, i got to say; I absolutely never want to visit a website on my phone unless its absolutely necessary to begin with.

I'm on the desktop, so the website can fit more on screen, but the amount of titles and rows that are allowed to load is honestly ridiculous and just floods my vision with a ton of garbage and text. It doesnt even load content in chronological order, its just a mash of click bait garbage

and thats another thing; it very clear that KYM is trying to pivot to becoming a clickbait multimedia website, where content is regurgitated with engagement spins. Its honestly just too late for that to be successful. I know the website is not completely irrelevant to internet culture these days because I've seen people bring up the website or look up an article outside of this website, but its best years are behind it, not ahead; especially in terms of profitability. People have the sense to stay away from the website in its current state; outside of its entries and articles, there is nothing really worth engaging with in its current state. Its an indication of the direction the website is heading, and its a path that has long since lost its viability; I can only see people getting turned off and losing those clicks for advertisement money in the long run.

Not only could I find the old website by browsing these comments, but also had my sanity restored with the above quote. Have my upvote, good sir.

>Site suddenly looks ugly today
>"Oh well, I'll give it a shot, maybe I can get used to it"
>Go to images and start viewing
>Can't view image's current score from the preview
>Can't upvote or downvote image from the preview
>Can't see how many comments there are from the preview
>Clicking on the black empty space doesn't close the preview, I have to go all the way up and click the X
>It just looks worse than the old layout

Imagine updating your site and not just removing features, but removing so many basic ones that trying to use the site for 30 seconds already creates a list of issues this long.

And did I mention it's ugly?

Last edited Jun 07, 2024 at 09:45AM EDT

I love you so fucking much right now.

Yuck. I got infected with this new layout and it looked godawful.
It looks even worse on my phone, too.

A word for staff members: maybe instead of pushing shitty layouts onto users, you should consider user feedback instead of having your own biases override everyone pointing out that your layout is objectively less usable than what came before?

months ago site works perfectly someone screwed up and the site works badly who does that I want to know, the web designer or someone who has the site as stupid as the moon now. who! does that!!!!!!! the responsibility no one who screwed up

Thank you!

I've had time to think and can make my previous comment a bit more helpful.

What I like about the current layout is the fact the newest, most recent front page post clearly gets the most space and none of the other content is competing for that. The newest front page post 100% should get the most space and attention in any future layouts. We read that first and everything else is secondary.

The redesign had way to much recent, but not new enough content fighting the new posts.

Sup! You must login or signup first!