Forums / Discussion / General

233,314 total conversations in 7,801 threads

+ New Thread

Featured Featured
Politics General

Last posted Jun 25, 2024 at 06:23PM EDT. Added Jan 01, 2017 at 06:26PM EST
16520 posts from 276 users

Frankly, a "victory" for either side would be pyrrhic and wrought with harsh, long-term consequences. Ukraine will struggle to recuperate its severe losses, and will be open to another attack by Russia. Joining NATO would certainly mitigate this problem, but losing so many people to war never has good effects on a society. Russia would face similar, but less severe, consequences from its own losses, and would also struggle with occupation; not just in whatever territories it annexes (likely those it already declared it has) but in more tumultuous home regions as well.

In any case, any of these problems would be made considerably worse by their mutual issues of corruption and autocracy.

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Spaghetto wrote:

Frankly, a "victory" for either side would be pyrrhic and wrought with harsh, long-term consequences. Ukraine will struggle to recuperate its severe losses, and will be open to another attack by Russia. Joining NATO would certainly mitigate this problem, but losing so many people to war never has good effects on a society. Russia would face similar, but less severe, consequences from its own losses, and would also struggle with occupation; not just in whatever territories it annexes (likely those it already declared it has) but in more tumultuous home regions as well.

In any case, any of these problems would be made considerably worse by their mutual issues of corruption and autocracy.

The Defense guys predict significant limitations in weapon and munition production by 2025-2026. even with imports from countries like North Korea, and they've been right so far it's difficult to imagine them being wrong.

Talking about the toll on the West, but the East Bloc's cannibalizing itself to feed Russia. Russia, by itself, had to increase a shitton of spending up to 40% just to sustain itself as it is.

Only reason Russia is not cutting it's losses it's because they're in-too-deep to pull out. But the long-term economic and political impacts of this shit is going to hurt them hard.

Like I said, the US and friends have no reason to panic. By now, the "Huge Russian Advance" is just fighting for the same frontline that's been stuck for a year now.

So Ebrahim Raisi, the Iranian president was indeed killed. I wonder how it'll affect the armed conflicts nearby, and what will happen inside the state.

Last edited May 20, 2024 at 12:34AM EDT

Evilthing wrote:

So Ebrahim Raisi, the Iranian president was indeed killed. I wonder how it'll affect the armed conflicts nearby, and what will happen inside the state.

Who knows.
In the near term it is a massive distraction from Iran's proxy wars. In the long term there isn't anyone who can replace him that is competent. Iran is already in the brink and this may be a catalyst. Let's see if they can handle it or not

CharityClubhouse01 wrote:

The Defense guys predict significant limitations in weapon and munition production by 2025-2026. even with imports from countries like North Korea, and they've been right so far it's difficult to imagine them being wrong.

Talking about the toll on the West, but the East Bloc's cannibalizing itself to feed Russia. Russia, by itself, had to increase a shitton of spending up to 40% just to sustain itself as it is.

Only reason Russia is not cutting it's losses it's because they're in-too-deep to pull out. But the long-term economic and political impacts of this shit is going to hurt them hard.

Like I said, the US and friends have no reason to panic. By now, the "Huge Russian Advance" is just fighting for the same frontline that's been stuck for a year now.

I find the downvotes here to be highly suspect.

Evilthing wrote:

Their foreign policy minister was one of their most competent officials (yes, even with how isolated Iran is diplomatically), so it's possible they'll lose (even more) control of their various terrorist proxies.

Sadly, it may do little to change Iran's internal politics or their direction as a country.

Chewybunny wrote:

It's 3 to 6, with a total 9 of votes in a forum that only rarely has that many active users, so at best it's not as outright rigged as when some users get above 15. I've already my theory for which user is likely responsible, it's why I was so cynical last page.

What is bizarre, is that this normally happens if the usual brand of left-right talking points (aside from stalkers) it's the left one that is present (from the reasonable to insane, for example if I say something about Theocracy especially the 'Christian Nationalists').

That it's now happening in arguments on the Ukrainien war says … something.

Last edited May 20, 2024 at 03:10AM EDT

Gilan wrote:

It's 3 to 6, with a total 9 of votes in a forum that only rarely has that many active users, so at best it's not as outright rigged as when some users get above 15. I've already my theory for which user is likely responsible, it's why I was so cynical last page.

What is bizarre, is that this normally happens if the usual brand of left-right talking points (aside from stalkers) it's the left one that is present (from the reasonable to insane, for example if I say something about Theocracy especially the 'Christian Nationalists').

That it's now happening in arguments on the Ukrainien war says … something.

No need to hide it.
Just say who you think it is.

Chewybunny wrote:

No need to hide it.
Just say who you think it is.

I think it's Spaghetto. Down-votes and stalkers will always happen, but they're never in the negatives anymore (everyone goes in the negatives one time or another including you, and deservedly me) and they get absurd numbers, but in their favour such as in page 328 & 329 where they have 13-14. The disproportionate amounts tends also seems to happen when they're here.

However, I'm biased because I had a nasty argument on democracy in Hungary vs Germany with them and this accusation was part of it (thematic considering, but it got buried).

(Although FYI, Hungary is recently allowing CCP policemen and bona-fide communist propaganda on their airway (as part of a diplomatic tour where France was also a destination, so not great…) so I think it's obvious that Hungary is a Trojan Horse).

Last edited May 20, 2024 at 04:23AM EDT

I would like to mention Shani Louk since it's her funeral (sorry for mentioning her after more inconsequential topics and here of all places). May she rest in peace. No one deserves such a fate, but she was just attending a music festival.

I made the mistake of looking at the horrible video of her remains being paraded around by a celebrating crowd, and I deeply regret the vicious curiosity that prompted me to it (in the Hamas War entry one user wanted more info without looking at videos, and they were smart to do so).

Don't know what else to say.

Last edited May 20, 2024 at 04:54AM EDT

Chewybunny wrote:

i think in this case, it's not what's being said, but who's saying it. charity, to put it "charitably" (heh) is by no means a well liked person, for good reason in my opinion.

i mean, his first post here "Hopefully none.

Would hate to start another war in the region." is completely benign regardless of how one looks at it, yet still is 1 upvotes and 6 downvotes. even if he's got a point, people still hate him.

It's 3 to 6, with a total 9 of votes in a forum that only rarely has that many active users

The recurring mistake made when people discuss score is that they assume only people active on the thread or in the comments will vote. Anyone familiar with Reddit or YouTube (or really, any website with "score" or "karma") will know that there's always a lot of lurkers, idly voting but rarely engaging.

In this case, I think CharityClubhouse pissed off a few bored people and they followed him here. As Snakeboat said, he's not exactly liked

Sir Snakeboat wrote:

i think in this case, it's not what's being said, but who's saying it. charity, to put it "charitably" (heh) is by no means a well liked person, for good reason in my opinion.

i mean, his first post here "Hopefully none.

Would hate to start another war in the region." is completely benign regardless of how one looks at it, yet still is 1 upvotes and 6 downvotes. even if he's got a point, people still hate him.

I am pretty sure it's someone with an alt and too much time.

To be more specific:

1) Some people are very angry because I want to buy an ubisoft game (big mistake).

2) Some people are very angry because I'm posting pictures by people who want to buy an Ubisoft game (another big mistake)

Either way, that's not relevant to the discusion.

Last edited May 20, 2024 at 09:00PM EDT

To be more specific:

1) Some people are very angry because I want to buy an ubisoft game (big mistake).

2) Some people are very angry because I'm posting pictures by people who want to buy an Ubisoft game (another big mistake)

chewy asked a question, i answered the question. simple as.

To be more specific:

Was it the new Assassin Creed game?

@Sir Snakeboat

Profile stalking could also be another explanation. I didn't check what was their comment history.

Although, that was also why I mocked what some people were saying on 329. Ignoring any manipulations, sure, following and swarming someone as this forum is wont to do is greatly conductive to discussion, why ever do people seem to go on mental breakdowns so often around here (and I partly contributed to the guy who was defending twitter flaming out, so I'm probably part of the problem).

If you're going to drive people out, than don't complain afterwards of only being a group-think.

@Spaghetto

14 count now. We must have a lot of faithful lurkers.

It's a good alibi as any, although it doesn't explain your curious lack of going into negatives around here mentioned last time, or why with you it's never 2 and -1 for 3 votes. It's always 5-6 around here.

Anyway, end of the line, it's a politics forum on the meme site, it's not too important. I just think it's a little on the nose when the subject is manipulated democracies & attempted coups, or when people want a pity party when something blatantly screwy is going on in their favour.

The most it does is that I don't trust cheats, while others probably don't want to deal with someone who flings accusations. Which leads to the first problem of hug-boxes.

Last edited May 21, 2024 at 05:53AM EDT

Kenetic Kups wrote:

Well we got a major party candidate guilty on 34 counts and, both party's candidates are senile
boy democracy is great

I am sincerely hoping that the GOP uses this as a good reason to shake off Trump and go for a younger alternative to the current malaise. Biden is clearly not cut out for it. His foreign policy has been one of weakness and cowardice, his domestic policy has been alienating. His public persona abroad and at home is one of an old man dealing with dementia. I am shocked, utterly shocked the Democrats have not even tried to field a better candidate.

Perhaps if they feel that Trump is no longer a realistic play they could but I doubt it.

Ah well.

Kenetic Kups wrote:

Well we got a major party candidate guilty on 34 counts and, both party's candidates are senile
boy democracy is great

I am sincerely hoping that the GOP uses this as a good reason to shake off Trump and go for a younger alternative to the current malaise. Biden is clearly not cut out for it. His foreign policy has been one of weakness and cowardice, his domestic policy has been alienating. His public persona abroad and at home is one of an old man dealing with dementia. I am shocked, utterly shocked the Democrats have not even tried to field a better candidate.

Perhaps if they feel that Trump is no longer a realistic play they could but I doubt it.

Ah well.

Chewybunny wrote:

Ah well.

It would be interesting, especially because then the right's vote would be split three ways,

Kenetic Kups wrote:

boy democracy is great

American Democracy. Same reason why I insist on American Right. The worst thing they could do is bringing every single value down with them.

Than again, a bunch of democracies and other right-wing parties are going down the same way (sometimes because the GOP is exporting their Christian Nationalist bullshit), but they can be dealt on a case by case basis.

@Chewybunny

If the GOP had kept Nikki Haley they'd have a more normal candidate.

Trump has a base which is almost fanatically willing to do and forgive anything from him (I'd feel sorry for the GOP being so beholden to them if they hadn't kept him every-time they had a chance otherwise), but he's no longer a "new" politician and he repels, screwed over or has burnt bridges with everyone.

No one has ever forgotten that holdup of Ukrainian aid either. Possibly the main reason Biden is the alternative. More than anything if internal politics could stabilize enough so it doesn't keep becoming an issue in countering Iran, Russia and China (and there isn't another threat of trade war or meddling towards the EU), it'd be nice.

Last edited May 31, 2024 at 10:39AM EDT

Gilan wrote:

American Democracy. Same reason why I insist on American Right. The worst thing they could do is bringing every single value down with them.

Than again, a bunch of democracies and other right-wing parties are going down the same way (sometimes because the GOP is exporting their Christian Nationalist bullshit), but they can be dealt on a case by case basis.

It's the nature of democracy, the inmates running the asylum

Mexico just elected the first female president in North America. Quite interestingly, she's left-wing, from the same party as the current Mexican president and has a background in science and development on energy engineering.

It's going to be interesting how the foreign policy of the US with its southern neighbor develops in the next few years, particularly if Trump ends up being elected.

Last edited Jun 03, 2024 at 07:44PM EDT

TheHolyEmpress wrote:

Mexico just elected the first female president in North America. Quite interestingly, she's left-wing, from the same party as the current Mexican president and has a background in science and development on energy engineering.

It's going to be interesting how the foreign policy of the US with its southern neighbor develops in the next few years, particularly if Trump ends up being elected.

don't really see how the left electing a female president by itself is really interesting, unless the mexican left-wing party is comparable to our right-wing party, but somehow i doubt that last part. maybe she was the first female president elected in mexico? i don't know much of anything about mexican politics

and yea, the potential changes to the us/mexico relationship could be interesting, could go either way depending on who wins

Sir Snakeboat wrote:

don't really see how the left electing a female president by itself is really interesting, unless the mexican left-wing party is comparable to our right-wing party, but somehow i doubt that last part. maybe she was the first female president elected in mexico? i don't know much of anything about mexican politics

and yea, the potential changes to the us/mexico relationship could be interesting, could go either way depending on who wins

Yes, she is the first female president in Mexico. In a society that has traditionally been very conservative about gender roles and such.

TheHolyEmpress wrote:

Yes, she is the first female president in Mexico. In a society that has traditionally been very conservative about gender roles and such.

yea, that checks out, not really sure what other reasons could reasonably exist

TheHolyEmpress wrote:

Is she as insane as AMLO, who if i remember correctly tried to deflect from his controversies by claiming aliens are real?

martinprince12345 wrote:

Is she as insane as AMLO, who if i remember correctly tried to deflect from his controversies by claiming aliens are real?

I don't think so. She seems quite professional and less controversial than her predecessor, at least from the interviews I've seen. Who knows.

Nostalgist wrote:

37 people were assassinated in that campaign season.

Just in case you had forgotten for a minute that it's still Mexico.

48 were assassinated when AMLO was elected, stuff like this is just another day there

https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/estados/acaban-campanas-con-record-en-el-nivel-de-violencia/

So a week or two ago Trudeau said the quiet part out loud – nothing will be done about the housing crisis because it would affect boomer's pensions and given the median voter age is 50, anyone wanting to start a business or a family here is being sacrificed so the most privileged generation in literal history can have a cushier retirement.

I have zero faith in the opposition to do anything about this when they inevitably win in 2026, and it seems to be a problem affecting every single democracy right now, except possibly Japan which is already on the other side of where this policy leads, though in Canada we seem to be determined to make Japan's lost decades look like boom times. It seems to just be the case that democracies with aging populations sacrifice their children, though as seen in Russia and China it's not a problem exclusive to democracy either, the process is just out in the open in democracies.

I guess the only solace is due to the provincial "conservatives" here gutting health care and social services, boomers here will face some consequences as they die alone without supports, even if it means fucking the rest of us over with them. Then again the provincial "liberals" seem to just inflate the managerial class while leaving the front lines of social services to rot so I can hardly blame voters for the death of the provincial center-left. Well, that and Trudeau staining the brand here.

Feels like the social contract died decades ago and we've just been running on fumes since. Nobody seems to want to actually repair it either, we just have the choice of accelerationists on the hard to far right and people who want to tell us everything is fine on the center left.

We're fucked.

| || || |_ wrote:

So a week or two ago Trudeau said the quiet part out loud – nothing will be done about the housing crisis because it would affect boomer's pensions and given the median voter age is 50, anyone wanting to start a business or a family here is being sacrificed so the most privileged generation in literal history can have a cushier retirement.

I have zero faith in the opposition to do anything about this when they inevitably win in 2026, and it seems to be a problem affecting every single democracy right now, except possibly Japan which is already on the other side of where this policy leads, though in Canada we seem to be determined to make Japan's lost decades look like boom times. It seems to just be the case that democracies with aging populations sacrifice their children, though as seen in Russia and China it's not a problem exclusive to democracy either, the process is just out in the open in democracies.

I guess the only solace is due to the provincial "conservatives" here gutting health care and social services, boomers here will face some consequences as they die alone without supports, even if it means fucking the rest of us over with them. Then again the provincial "liberals" seem to just inflate the managerial class while leaving the front lines of social services to rot so I can hardly blame voters for the death of the provincial center-left. Well, that and Trudeau staining the brand here.

Feels like the social contract died decades ago and we've just been running on fumes since. Nobody seems to want to actually repair it either, we just have the choice of accelerationists on the hard to far right and people who want to tell us everything is fine on the center left.

We're fucked.

first the horrific response to the "standing ovation for a nazi" shitshow, and now this

god save us

In breaking news, Hunter Biden, the son of U. S. President Joe Biden has been found guilty on 3 counts regarding the purchase of a firearm while Hunter was addicted to crack/cocaine. Hunter is (in a legal sense) a first-time offender, and the gun was apparently never used, so it's unlikely Hunter will actually face jail time, but rather probation instead.

More information can be found in the link below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VNQjE0Jc2M

| || || |_ wrote:

We're fucked.

The natural consequences of the ideology of lberalism

Sweet Baby Inc is back to trending

But I been kind of bored lately so I dont really mind it anymore, this website can be kind of uneventful without political debates….for good or for ill

https://www.timesofisrael.com/un-reports-on-gaza-accuse-israel-of-crimes-against-humanity-hamas-of-war-crimes/

"UN reports accuse Israel of ‘extermination,’ crimes against humanity; Hamas of war crimes"

A big win for the second amendment, and a big loss for the ATF, came in today: the Supreme Court overturned the regulatory ban on "bump stocks". Tacticool meme equipment or not, overturning nonsensical regulations is a good thing.

To clarify, for anyone confused: "bump firing" is a technique with semi-automatic rifles where the recoil from one shot is used to "bump" your hand so your finger reactivates the trigger. A "bump stock" is a stock (the butt end of a rifle) designed to facilitate and simplify this technique, but it can be done with a wide range of stocks. In essence, the purpose of this technique is to allow a faster rate of fire within the limitations of semi-automatic fire. If done correctly, this can allow you to fire multiple shots in quick succession from only one manual, deliberate pull of the trigger, which is the rationale the ATF used to classify it as a "machine gun".

How this fell apart? The relevant law, 5845(b) of Title 26 of the United States Code, doesn't say "pull of the trigger". It says "function of the trigger", and bump stocks don't affect that whatsoever. The "bumping" involves repeatedly activating the trigger, and each activation fires exactly once. Ergo, the ATF overstepped their bounds by regulating something they had no authority to.

There has been a series of arson attacks on UC Berkley by a pro-Palestine activists. The police finally found the man.

kek

"Casey *Goon*an was arrested Monday morning at his parents’ $1.1 million home in Pleasant Hill on suspicion of a string of arson attacks at UC Berkeley from June 1 to 16…Feds, cops and CalFire allege the 34-year-old, a Northwestern University doctorate of African American studies, firebombed a Berkeley campus police car and carried out three other arson incidents on university grounds June 1, as well as last Thursday and Sunday."

Far Right Neanderthal: I can't get laid. I can't get a good job even though my skin color should allow me to have one. I can't move out of my parents basement. I bet the Jews are responsible for this.

Far Left Enlightened Erudite: I can't get laid. I can't get a good job even though I have a PhD in African American studies. I can't move out of my parents basement. I bet the Israelis are responsible for this.

There has been a series of arson attacks on UC Berkley by a pro-Palestine activists. The police finally found the man.

kek

"Casey *Goon*an was arrested Monday morning at his parents’ $1.1 million home in Pleasant Hill on suspicion of a string of arson attacks at UC Berkeley from June 1 to 16…Feds, cops and CalFire allege the 34-year-old, a Northwestern University doctorate of African American studies, firebombed a Berkeley campus police car and carried out three other arson incidents on university grounds June 1, as well as last Thursday and Sunday."

Far Right Neanderthal: I can't get laid. I can't get a good job even though my skin color should allow me to have one. I can't move out of my parents basement. I bet the Jews are responsible for this.

Far Left Enlightened Erudite: I can't get laid. I can't get a good job even though I have a PhD in African American studies. I can't move out of my parents basement. I bet the Israelis are responsible for this.

What the hell?

He has no excuses, just pure violent destructive sadism. Not to excuse the 'usual' type of terrorists either (poor, no prospects), but it makes Casey Goonan worse in comparison.

>Far Right Neanderthal & Far Left Enlightened Erudite

Horseshoe theory in action.

Chewybunny wrote:

kek

Burning cop cars is based

Last edited Jun 19, 2024 at 11:06AM EDT

Chewybunny wrote:

kek

The fact that he looks like a soyjak is quite on the nose. This man feels like a caricature spawned from /pol/ given a real human form. White Guilt (the new "White Man's Burden") is quite the drug.

In Paris, France s 12 year old Jewish girl was raped by two boys aged 13 and 12. According to the article: According to her version, the young victim from Courbevoie went down to Square Henri Regnault on Saturday with a friend when three teenagers, including her ex-boyfriend, also aged 12, took her to an abandoned hangar, on the site of a former nursery. There, the three teenagers allegedly beat her and insulted her because of her religion. The victim then allegedly suffered penetration.
According to a police source, the minor explained that she was approached by three teenagers and dragged into a shed while she was in a park near her home with a friend.
The suspects hit her and “forced anal and vaginal penetration on her, fellatio, while making death threats and anti-Semitic remarks,” said a source close to the investigation.

The article: https://archive.ph/Oax4s

@Gilan is this getting a lot of coverage or talk in your neck of the woods?

Sup! You must login or signup first!